THE CHAMBER TEAM ARE STILL FULLY ACCESSIBLE VIA PHONE OR EMAIL, PLEASE GET IN CONTACT IF THERE IS ANYTHING WE CAN SUPPORT WITH OR IF YOU WOULD LIKE US TO INTRODUCE YOU TO A SPECIFIC BUSINESS THAT CAN HELP YOU.
Land of Saints Info Event
Would you like to find out more about how you could get involved with an exciting new opportunity for young businesspeople.
Land of Saints is one of Cornwall’s most inspirational new age gins. Distilled by Social Enterprise Cornish Spirits.org, the spirit is market-leading as the only gin to be recognised by the trio of international ethical organisations - Fauna & Flora, ORB and the Soil Association; along with being vegan, sustainable and free from plastic, so ticking all of the Corporate Social Responsibility boxes. In addition to its green sourcing and production, the company is making substantial donations from profits to support conservation initiatives. Initial sales and orders have far exceeded what set out to be a hobby and the demand has been huge.
The idea that the company founders have had, in conjunction with Whyfield Accountants and Cornwall Chamber of Commerce, which would be the first of its kind, is for us to put together a ‘Foundation Board’ of young, driven and passionate professionals from several sectors who can work together and alongside Mike & Sue Bearcroft to develop the business, with the guidance of mentors and/or their current employers to provide what we all know and love as NED roles, with all the responsibilities that entails but with these huge differences:
- You will be running the business with the support of a shadow board of mentors
- There are new products planned in 2020 and beyond for you to develop, launch and bring to market – or, of course, decide to change or drop!
- You will help to shape a new 21st Century Cornish business with a sense of purpose and CSR uppermost in its ethos
- You would only commit for 12 months from April 2020. It is anticipated that this will entail around four hours per month including a formal Board Meeting (schedule TBA to suit, but probably 1 1/2 hours late afternoon/early evening once a month). The rest of time is for prepping and research from home or desk. Your first 12 months will include full immersion as a business leader and is unpaid other than expenses to attend Board Meetings and other activities suitable to fulfil your role on the board which will be covered in full. Following that period of exploration, we will be looking to appoint paid full-time executives and permanent NEDs as well as offering a new cohort of young people the opportunity to take over on the Board. For those of you who leave after 12 months, enhancement to your CV, references, introductions and publicity will be career-boosting.
We are looking for people with the skills which comprise:
- A successful Company Board - Leadership, Finance, Marketing, HR, Production, Logistics, Product Development
- Skills for the future – Environmental Scientist, Climate Change expert, Smart Working revolutionary, Food & Drink futurologist, Diversity champion
- Skills relevant to our role in Cornwall – North, far West and East Cornwall residents, representation from growing sectors and various size businesses
- And those with the desire to share your learnings with other young people in work, studying or NEETS in Cornwall and beyond.
If your skills/experience/interests combine three or four of those, all the better!
These will be high profile appointments as local and national media, Chambers of Commerce and other business owners are anticipating this unique initiative with some interest.
If you think this might be an opportunity you could grasp with both hands, register to attend to find out more.